We are the voice for the construction industry in Western Pennsylvania, and we provide valuable member services, promote best practices, and help to grow a highly skilled workforce.
We will continue to be the premier construction association by setting exceptional standards of quality, safety, and labor relations, providing the best construction experience. Our members will build the Pennsylvania of tomorrow.
Our members stand behind their work and hold each other to a higher standard.
Our members believe that ethical and honest practices underpin all that we do.
Our members believe in preparing the next, diverse generation of construction leaders for success.
Our members build the highest caliber projects providing for optimum use and the highest value for owners.
The health, safety and well-being of every individual in our industry is the cornerstone upon which our members build.
Our members believe that highly-trained craftsmen and women are vital to creating a world class construction experience.
Our members embrace breakthrough practices that position them for the construction industry of tomorrow, while honoring our rich 125+ year legacy.
The principal objectives of the Master Builders' Association are:
- To establish and maintain high professional standards among contractors in the construction industry;
- To promote and advance the building construction industry in Western PA;
- To promote improved relations between private owners, public bodies, their architects or engineers and contractors;
- To provide members and the general public with information on current trends and industry concerns;
- To maintain a skilled workforce, by supporting industry-sponsored apprenticeship training programs;
- To advocate, foster and promote legislation impacting the building industry;
- To make membership in this Association a hallmark of the skill, integrity and responsibility of its members
Master Builders' Association of Western Pennsylvania, Inc. is a trade association whose membership includes more than 240 of the top general contractors, construction managers, specialty contractors, and service and supplier companies supporting our region's commercial construction industry. Collectively, the membership accounts for more than eighty (80) percent of the commercial construction in our area. The MBA brings a strong, influential, and single voice to the industry, which is our greatest source of pride and legacy since 1886. We are one of 96 chapters affiliated with AGC of America representing over 32,000 members nationwide. Members of the MBA are also members of AGC of America. This affiliation affords the MBA membership with an even stronger industry voice and broader access to services, resources and activities available on a national level.
Today, the membership benefits from the MBA's continued dedication to the construction industry. The MBA Staff is ready to assist you. As the construction industry's leading voice, the MBA will continue Leading the Industry, Building the Region for you and your company.
Representing Your Company in Government
The MBA represents your company at all levels of government. Whether it's national legislation, a state licensing bill or a county permitting issue, we are there to defend your business.
- Local, State and Federal Representation: The MBA employs a full-time government relations director who monitors important anti-business legislation and regulations so you don't have to. If it affects your business, the MBA is there. With the help and guidance of the MBA Legislative Committee, the MBA develops positions on issues that could impact your company's future.
- At the state level, the MBA is a member of the General Contractors Association of Pennsylvania (GCAP). GCAP was founded in the early 1960's as a united group of union contractors who provide a single voice for union construction from the union contractors point of view.
- Additionally, our industry's national interests are represented by AGC of America.
- AGC & GCAP PACs: GCAP established its Political Action Committee (GCAP PAC) to financially support state legislative candidates who are supportive of improving the construction industry in our state. Nationally, the AGC PAC is an essential part to provide the over 32,000 contractor members one collective voice in Washington DC. Contributions to both PACs are voluntary.
Fighting for You in Harrisburg's State Legislature
Each legislative session, Harrisburg considers many bills that would impact your business. The MBA is fighting for your business in regards to important issues, like: Tax Reform; Mechanic's Lien Law; Contractor Licensing & Registration laws; Workers Compensation; Local Government Public Works Construction Law; Energy Efficiency & Sustainable Construction Act; and the PA Separations Act.
The MBA was built on, and relies upon, strong relationships. To give our members the opportunity to meet one another and learn more about the industry as a whole, our chapter hosts the following events and programs:
- Networking Events - To provide the opportunity to meet not only other members, but other professionals in the industry as well as end users in a more casual environment.
- Annual Golf Outing - This extremely popular event provides a great opportunity for members to enjoy a day of golf.
- Annual Membership Meeting & Dinner - The MBA Annual Membership Meeting & Dinner provides members an opportunity to network and enjoy a wonderful dinner.
- Committee and Taskforce Involvement - The MBA is a committee-run association and has standing committees dedicated to enhancing the industry and providing the members with leadership and recognition opportunities. From time to time, task forces form to tackle specialized topics.
- Young Constructors - The MBA is committed to investing in its young industry professionals by offering this program to our members. A steering committee comprised of young professionals develop programs that provide participants with the opportunity to develop strong leadership skills and techniques, to learn more about how to get involved with the MBA, and to network and share ideas with other industry professionals.
One of the keys to your company's profitability is ongoing, quality safety training. Over the past several years, the MBA has set the industry standard as it has trained thousands of individuals who have helped their companies become more competitive.
- Competent Person Training: The MBA offers Competent Person Training at a discounted price to all MBA members.
- Site Visits: The MBA employs a full-time safety professional on staff. Safety site visits can be easily scheduled by contacting the MBA. These visits assure the members' maintain safe jobsites, in compliance with OSHA. Most importantly, the safety visits allow an opportunity to inform members' employees about the many types of hazards they may encounter on the job site, and will assist in reducing the number of accidents by teaching ways to create a safer work environment.
- Safety Training Classes: The MBA offers a multitude of safety training classes throughout the year to make your business more productive. Classes are held in the classroom, on the jobsite, and on the Internet. Topics include such items as: Scaffold Safety, Fall Protection, Confined Space, First Aid/CPR/Bloodborne Pathogens, Forklift Training and Respiratory Protection.
- Safety Start-Up Kit: Provided free of charge to MBA members, these guidelines will assist you in developing a company-wide safety program. It includes every poster required by the Federal and State of Pennsylvania governments related to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), plus some general guidelines for establishing company-wide safety programs.
The MBA's Public Relations Department, in conjunction with the MBA Marketing Committee, elevates the profile of your firm and the industry, through special events, media publicity and promotional materials.
Logos and Decals
MBA logos and decals promote the best contractors in the industry. Members are encouraged to use the MBA logo on their company letterhead, Internet sites, job-site signs and business cards.
MBA Building Excellence Awards
The annual MBA Building Excellence Award program is the most prestigious award for the Western Pennsylvania construction industry. Each year, the MBA honors the best construction projects the industry has to offer. Award recipients are featured in BreakingGround magazine and are honored at our region's premier construction networking event - The Construction Industry Evening of Excellence.
Company Safety Awards are part of the national AGC's Safety Statistics Tabulation Program and are awarded each year during the AGC's Annual Convention.
MBA members are committed to maintaining a skilled workforce. As our region's collective bargaining association for the building industry, members benefit from a strong relationship with Western Pennsylvania's organized labor. The MBA negotiates reasonable labor contracts with: Greater PA Regional Council of Carpenters; Cement Masons Local 526; Western PA District Council of Laborers; and, Operating Engineers Local 66.
Gain valuable tips and information on a wide range of construction topics at a minimal cost to members with publications, such as, contract documents, labor relations and personnel management handbooks, supervisory training guides, craft worker instructional materials, management and operations literature, and information brochures on education and careers.
Get information on industry trends and upcoming issues facing today's marketplace with the bi-monthly regional magazine.
Build a network of contacts with this handy reference book, which enables you to contact other construction owners. For easy reference, the membership is listed by member category. The directory is updated tri-annually, to coincide with the MBA President's term. This resource is sent to all MBA members, as well as architects, engineers and public and private owners in Southwestern Pennsylvania.
Find information on everything that the MBA has to offer, including membership services, up-coming educational sessions and events and industry news, on the association's Web site.
To keep members up-to-date with the latest issues affecting construction, the MBA sends its members a Safety e-Newsletter. This newsletter is full of information on safety training, recalls, regulatory news, recent construction accident details, and the latest OSHA activity.
Gain practical information, including the latest updates on the MBA and the region's construction industry, with the MBA's bi-monthly newsletter.